The Obama administration’s timeline for having ready the new health care law’s online sign-up system “was just flat out wrong,” outgoing Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in an interview that aired Sunday.
The departing health chief also said the two months when healthcare.gov was plagued with technical problems were “a pretty dismal time” and the low point of her five-year tenure. But she defended the law’s impact and said millions of Americans now have access to health care because of it.
“People have competitive choices and real information for the first time ever in this insurance market,” said Sebelius, who last week announced her resignation.
But she acknowledged the rocky rollout for the online sign-up system fraught with technical problems that left Americans frustrated.
“Clearly, the estimate that it was ready to go Oct. 1 was just flat out wrong,” Sebelius said.