Health Experts Insist U.S. Troops in Africa Not at Risk for Ebola

As lawmakers raised concerns that sending American troops to fight Ebola in Africa could lead to more Americans being infected, health experts said the troops helping aid workers in Western Africa would be safe.

“The troops going over there are going to be for logistic purposes,” said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Sunday on “Face the Nation.” “They’re well trained, they will not be in direct risk of contact with individuals. And even if they are, the protocols are in place to prevent spread.”

U.S. officials acknowledged rising concern after reports last week of the first Ebola infection detected on U.S. soil in Texas, but insisted the systems were in place to prevent an outbreak similar to what has occurred in several African nations.

The Obama administration is sending about 3,000 military troops to the affected countries to aid the public-health campaign to contain the deadly virus. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, California Republican, said he thinks it’s smart of Congress to ask questions about the safety of the mission and to listen to medical experts to ensure American forces are safe.