An Oregon 3-year-old is recovering after she ingested 37 Buckyball earth magnets.
Oregon’s KPTV originally reported that Payton Bushnell had complained to her parents about stomach pain. At first, Aaron and Kelli Bushnell thought their child simply had a stomachache, but her symptoms continued, and an X-ray at the hospital finally revealed a circular grouping of magnets in her stomach.
The magnets reportedly snapped Payton’s intestines together, punched one hole in her stomach and three in her intestine, according to KPTV. Payton’s parents say she may have mistaken the small metallic balls as edible toppings they often use to decorate cupcakes.